1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Ready to Read!
You are your child’s first teacher and your home is where your child begins to learn. When you talk, sing, read, write, and play you are helping your child get ready to read. Children who are read to at an early age will be better prepared to learn.
It sounds like a big task to read 1,000 books but ...
- It’s one bedtime story every night for three years, OR
- Ten books a week for two years, OR
- Twenty books a week for one year (that’s just 3 books a day!)
It's worth it! Your child will ...
- Have heard more than 30 million words by age three
- Have a significantly larger vocabulary by age six, dramatically impacting reading success
To get started on your child's adventure to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, simply stop by the Children's Library and pick up a 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten workpage. Each workpage comes with 100 spots to mark off each book that's read to your child. Once filled, return the workpage to the library. At certain benchmarks, your child will recieve an exciting prize!
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is sponsored by the Friends of Clarksburg-Harrison Public Library.