The Clarksburg Public Library was established in 1907 as a reading room with a few hundred books. Mae Goff Lowndes bequeathed her home to the City of Clarksburg to be used as a public library and museum and after her death the library was moved to Waldomore. The stately antebellum mansion continued to house the library for more than four decades. In the 1970s, Library Director Merle Moore began generating support and raising funds for construction of a modern building to house the library. Property was aquired adjacent to the Waldomore site and construction was completed in 1975. The distinctive structure was designed by renowned architects Marcel Breuer and Hamilton Smith. Most library operations were moved into the new building but Waldomore continued to be an important part of the library. Waldomore now houses the library's local history and genealogy collection and has a large meeting space used for library programs and community meetings. The library was renamed Clarksburg-Harrison Public Library and serves nearly 57,000 residents throughout Harrison County.